Delaware may be a small state, but it is home to some of the best golf courses on the East Coast. With beautiful scenery, challenging layouts, and top-notch facilities, golfers of all skill levels can find their perfect course in Delaware. Whether you are a local resident or a visitor looking for a great round of golf, Delaware has something for everyone.
What Makes a Golf Course Great?
When determining the best golf courses in Delaware, there are a few factors that contribute to a course’s overall greatness. These include course design and layout, scenery and surroundings, difficulty and challenge, and maintenance and condition. A great golf course should have a balance of these elements to provide an enjoyable and memorable experience for golfers.
Top Golf Courses in Delaware
- Bayside Resort Golf Club
Designed by Jack Nicklaus, this 18-hole course features breathtaking views of Assawoman Bay and challenging holes that will test even the most skilled golfers.
- Baywood Greens Golf Course
Known for its stunning floral displays and meticulously manicured fairways, this course offers a unique and picturesque golfing experience.
- Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club
This beautifully designed course features three 9-hole courses, each with its own unique challenges and scenic views.
- The Rookery Golf Club
Located in Milton, this course offers a challenging layout with water hazards and natural areas, making it a favorite among both amateur and professional golfers.
- Heritage Shores Golf Club
This Arthur Hills-designed course offers a links-style layout with undulating fairways and natural wetlands, providing a challenging and scenic round of golf.
Other Notable Golf Courses in Delaware
- White Clay Creek Country Club
Featuring a scenic parkland-style layout and multiple tee options, this course offers a challenging yet enjoyable round of golf for players of all skill levels.
- Deerfield Golf and Tennis Club
This family-friendly course offers a mix of open and wooded holes, providing a fun and challenging experience for golfers.
- Rock Manor Golf Club
Located in Wilmington, this course offers a unique and challenging layout with rolling hills and scenic views.
- Back Creek Golf Club
This award-winning course features a challenging layout with water hazards and natural areas, providing a challenging round for golfers.
- The Peninsula Golf and Country Club
Designed by Jack Nicklaus, this course offers stunning views of the Indian River Bay and challenging holes for an unforgettable round of golf.
- Bayside Resort Golf Club, Baywood Greens Golf Course, and Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club are top golf courses in Delaware, offering beautiful scenery, challenging courses, and excellent maintenance.
- When choosing a golf course in Delaware, consider your skill level, research ratings and reviews, and look for special features and amenities.
- Other notable golf courses in Delaware include White Clay Creek Country Club, Deerfield Golf and Tennis Club, Rock Manor Golf Club, Back Creek Golf Club, and The Peninsula Golf and Country Club.
delaware top golf courses
Delaware may be a small state, but it boasts some of the best golf courses on the East Coast. In this section, we will highlight the top golf courses in Delaware that offer not only challenging courses, but also stunning views and exceptional service.
1. Bayside Resort Golf Club
- The Bayside Resort Golf Club is renowned for its breathtaking Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course.
- Challenge yourself with a round of golf on this 18-hole, par-72 championship course that promises both excitement and enjoyment.
- Take in the picturesque views of Assawoman Bay and natural dunes while playing.
- Relish in the well-maintained landscaping and top-notch facilities that make this course a true gem.
- Spoil yourself with additional amenities such as the Freeman Stage and the Signatures Clubhouse.
Baywood Greens Golf Course is so beautiful, it’s almost a shame to ruin it with our terrible golf swings.
2. Baywood Greens Golf Course
Baywood Greens Golf Course, situated in Delaware, is well-known for its breathtaking botanical scenery, showcasing perfectly manicured gardens and verdant landscapes. The course design seamlessly integrates vibrant floral displays and picturesque bridges, creating a serene atmosphere for golfers.
Its challenging layout, complete with water features and strategically placed bunkers, provides an exhilarating game for both novice and experienced golfers. The meticulous maintenance of the course guarantees flawless fairways and greens, enhancing the overall golfing experience.
3. Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club
- Location: Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club is located in Ocean View, Delaware and offers a beautiful coastal setting.
- Championship Golf: Designed by Rick Jacobson, the 27-hole championship course at Bear Trap Dunes provides a challenging yet enjoyable experience for all golfers.
- Amenities: Golfers can take advantage of the pro shop, practice facilities, and restaurant at the club.
- Events: Bear Trap Dunes hosts a variety of golf events, tournaments, and instructional programs for golfers of all skill levels to enjoy.
4. The Rookery Golf Club
The Rookery Golf Club in Delaware offers a challenging course design with scenic surroundings. Its well-maintained, lush green fairways, and strategically placed hazards provide an enjoyable level of difficulty. The club also provides various amenities and special features, making it an ideal choice for both experienced and novice golfers.
The Rookery Golf Club, established in 2000, has become a popular destination for golf enthusiasts due to its exceptional course layout and top-notch facilities.
5. Heritage Shores Golf Club
- Assess your skill level to ensure it aligns with the difficulty of the course at Heritage Shores Golf Club.
- Research ratings and reviews to understand the experiences of previous players at this established club.
- Look for special amenities such as practice facilities and dining options offered at Heritage Shores Golf Club.
- Consider the location and accessibility of Heritage Shores Golf Club to ensure convenience.
Established in 2006, Heritage Shores Golf Club offers an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Arthur Hills. The club provides a rich golfing experience amidst stunning landscapes, making it a sought-after destination for golf enthusiasts.
6. Deerfield Golf Club (Newark)
The Deerfield Golf and Tennis Club is renowned for its picturesque landscape, challenging courses, and top-notch facilities. The club’s meticulously designed course layout offers a blend of difficulty and scenic beauty, making it an ideal choice for golf enthusiasts of all skill levels. Additionally, the club’s well-maintained facilities and convenient location enhance the overall golfing experience for visitors.
Overview Deerfield Golf Club, nestled in the scenic woodlands of Newark, Delaware, is one of the award winning public golf courses known for its stunning natural beauty and excellent playing conditions. This 145-acre, 18-hole public golf course is a true gem in the Delaware golfing community.
- The course offers a variety of challenging holes that cater to both seasoned players and beginners. Its well-maintained fairways and greens provide an enjoyable and fair test of golf.
- The natural scenery, with rolling hills and tranquil ponds, adds to the overall experience.
- Deerfield Golf Club is also known for its commitment to wildlife preservation and environmental stewardship, enhancing its appeal as a course in harmony with nature.
Best For Golfers of all skill levels who appreciate a course that balances challenge with natural beauty. It’s also ideal for environmentally conscious players who value sustainability in golf course management.
7. Bidermann Golf Club (Wilmington)
Overview Bidermann Golf Club in Wilmington is an exclusive, members-only club known for its rich history and impeccably maintained course. Originally a private estate, the course was converted into a golf club, retaining much of its original charm and elegance.
- This 18-hole course is praised for its challenging layout, featuring narrow fairways, strategic bunkering, and fast, undulating greens.
- The course’s design seamlessly integrates the natural terrain, including mature trees and water features, creating both a picturesque and strategic golfing experience.
- Bidermann also offers a serene and exclusive atmosphere, allowing members to enjoy their game in a tranquil and uncrowded environment.
Best For Serious golfers seeking an exclusive and challenging golfing experience. The club’s rich history and pri
Frequently Asked Questions
Which golf course takes the top spot in Golf Digest’s 2023-24 ranking for the best courses in Delaware?
Wilmington Country Club, with courses designed by Robert Trent Jones and Dick Wilson, is the highest-ranked golf course in Delaware, according to Golf Digest.
What is the significance of the top five courses in Delaware being located in Wilmington?
Wilmington is the largest population center in Delaware, so it’s not surprising that it is home to the state’s best golf courses.
What makes Biderman, former private golf course of the du Pont family, a unique option for golfers?
Biderman has remained highly private, secretive, and lightly played, offering a premium experience for golfers who have the opportunity to play on this exclusive course.
How can golfers leave their own ratings and reviews for courses they have played in Delaware?
Golf Digest’s recently relaunched Places to Play community allows golfers to leave their own star ratings and reviews for recently reviewed courses in Delaware. Check it out for expert opinions, bonus photography, and more.
Which Delaware location has the highest-rated private golf course, according to Golf Guide?
Dagsboro, Delaware has a private golf course that has been rated 4.8 out of 5 by 15 reviewers, making it the top-rated private course in the state according to Golf Guide.
What notable architects have designed courses in Delaware’s top five golf courses?
Robert Trent Jones and Dick Wilson, two prominent architects in the late 1940s and 1960s, have designed courses at Wilmington Country Club, the top-ranked course in Delaware, and Biderman, the second-ranked course.