Denver, the capital of Colorado, is a golfer’s paradise with over 60 golf courses within a 30-mile radius. With its breathtaking mountain views, diverse terrain, and mild climate, it is no surprise that Denver is home to some of the best golf courses in the country. But with so many options, it can be overwhelming to choose the right course for you. In this article, we will discuss what to look for in a golf course and highlight some of the top courses in Denver.
When choosing a golf course, there are a few key factors to consider. These include location, course design and layout, difficulty, and amenities and facilities. For golfers in Denver, here are some top golf courses to check out:
- The Ridge at Castle Pines North: Located just south of Denver, this course offers stunning views of the Rocky Mountains and a challenging layout.
- Arrowhead Golf Club: This course boasts unique rock formations and a beautiful mountain backdrop, making it a must-visit for any golfer.
- Fossil Trace Golf Club: Built around a historic rock quarry, this course offers a unique and scenic golfing experience.
- The Club at Inverness: This course is known for its challenging design and top-notch facilities, including a full-service spa and fitness center.
- The Broadmoor Golf Club: Located in Colorado Springs, this world-renowned course features stunning mountain views and impeccable course conditions.
To choose the best Denver golf course for you, consider your skill level, check for special deals and discounts, read reviews and ask for recommendations, and visit the course and talk to the staff. Additionally, here are some tips for a successful golfing experience in Denver:
- Plan ahead and book tee times to ensure you can play at your preferred course and time.
- Dress appropriately and bring proper equipment to avoid any issues on the course.
- Stay hydrated and protect yourself from the sun to ensure you can play comfortably.
- Respect the course and follow etiquette to maintain the course’s condition and ensure a pleasant experience for all players.
- Location is an important factor when choosing the best Denver golf course. Consider the distance, accessibility, and surrounding scenery.
- Course design, difficulty, and amenities are crucial elements to look for in a golf course. These can greatly impact your overall experience and enjoyment.
- To ensure a successful golfing experience in Denver, plan ahead and book tee times, dress appropriately, stay hydrated, and respect the course and its etiquette.
What to Look for in a Golf Course?
As golf enthusiasts, we all know that finding the perfect golf course is essential for an enjoyable game. But with so many options available, how do we know which one is the best for us? In this section, we will discuss the key factors to consider when looking for a golf course. From the location to the course design and amenities, we will cover everything you need to know to find your ideal golfing destination. So let’s tee off and explore what makes a golf course stand out from the rest.
- Research golf courses near your desired location to minimize travel time.
- Consider the accessibility and proximity of the course within Denver.
- Factor in traffic conditions and ease of reaching the golf course.
- Assess the surrounding area for additional amenities and attractions.
2. Course Design and Layout
- When considering a golf course, take note of its layout, including the arrangement of holes and strategic placement of hazards.
- Assess the suitability of the design for various skill levels, from beginners to advanced players.
- Look for courses with diverse landscape features, such as water bodies, bunkers, and elevation changes, that offer a challenging and visually appealing experience.
Pro-tip: It is important to prioritize finding a course with a well-balanced design that challenges and engages players of all abilities.
Just like navigating through a busy city, these courses will test your skills and patience, but at least you won’t have to deal with rush hour traffic.
3. Course Difficulty
- Assess your skill level against the course’s difficulty rating of 3 to ensure a suitable challenge.
- Consider the length of the course and the obstacles it presents.
- Review the slope and course rating to gauge difficulty accurately.
Pro-tip: It’s beneficial to play challenging courses occasionally to refine your skills and elevate your game.
4. Amenities and Facilities – because every golfer deserves a fancy clubhouse and a clean port-a-potty.
4. Amenities and Facilities
When selecting a Denver golf course, take into account the 4. amenities and facilities that are offered. Look for courses that provide well-maintained clubhouses, practice areas, equipment rental services, and dining options. The inclusion of modern amenities such as GPS-enabled golf carts, locker rooms, and professional instruction can greatly enhance the overall golfing experience.
These Denver golf courses are so good, even non-golfers will be tempted to pick up a club and try their luck. And by luck, I mean praying to the golf gods for a decent swing.
Top Denver Golf Courses
For avid golfers, Denver offers a plethora of top-notch golf courses to choose from. In this section, we will highlight the top Denver golf courses that are a must-visit for any golf enthusiast. From the scenic beauty of The Ridge at Castle Pines North to the challenging layout of Arrowhead Golf Club, we’ll cover the unique features and experiences offered by each course. So grab your clubs and get ready for a tour of the best golf courses in Denver.
1. The Ridge at Castle Pines North
The renowned Ridge at Castle Pines North is known for its challenging layout and breathtaking scenery. With a variety of elevations, undulating fairways, and strategically placed bunkers, the 18-hole championship course offers a challenging yet enjoyable experience for golfers. Along with stunning views of the Rocky Mountains, guests can also take advantage of top-notch amenities such as a clubhouse, pro shop, and various dining options.
Overview Situated just south of Denver, The Ridge at Castle Pines North is a public course known for its excellent conditions and beautiful mountain setting.
- Designed by Tom Weiskopf, the course offers a perfect mix of risk and reward challenges amidst stunning views.
- The varying terrain and thoughtful layout make every hole unique.
Best For Players of all skill levels looking for a top-tier golfing experience without the exclusivity of a private club.
2. Arrowhead Golf Club
Overview Nestled in the foothills of the Rockies, Arrowhead Golf Club is renowned for its visually stunning and topographically unique golfing experience.
- Famous for its red sandstone rock formations, Arrowhead provides not just a game of golf but an encounter with nature.
- The course layout is diverse, with elevation changes and scenic vistas at every turn.
Best For Golfers who enjoy a blend of challenging golf and natural beauty. Perfect for those who appreciate a course that is as visually engaging as it is playable.
Offers a picturesque and challenging course in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, Arrowhead Golf Club is a must-visit for both casual and avid golfers. Its stunning rock formations, lush fairways, and strategic layout have made it a favorite among golf enthusiasts. Established in 1983, the club has been a premier golfing destination, renowned for its natural beauty and demanding yet rewarding course design. Over the years, it has hosted numerous prestigious tournaments and continues to attract golfers seeking a unique and memorable playing experience.
Fossil Trace Golf Club – where dinosaurs may be extinct, but your golf game doesn’t have to be.
3. Fossil Trace Golf Club
Fossil Trace Golf Club, situated in Denver, provides a one-of-a-kind experience with its breathtaking natural surroundings and challenging course layout. The club’s standout feature is the remnants of ancient dinosaur fossils scattered throughout the course, adding a fascinating aspect to your golfing adventure.
Pro-tip: While planning your shots, pause to appreciate the historical importance of the fossilized remains, elevating your overall enjoyment of the game.
Fore a luxurious round of golf, head to The Club at Inverness – where the only sand traps are in the bunkers, not your pockets.
4. The Club at Inverness
When choosing a golf course like The Club at Inverness, evaluate its location, layout, difficulty, and available facilities. Consider your skill level, look for special deals, read reviews, and visit the course to make an informed decision.
For a successful golfing experience, plan ahead, dress appropriately, stay hydrated, and adhere to golf etiquette.
With stunning views and challenging holes, The Broadmoor Golf Club is the perfect place to lose your balls and your mind.
5. The Broadmoor Golf Club
- Explore the scenic 18-hole East Course or the challenging 18-hole West Course at The Broadmoor Golf Club.
- Experience top-tier amenities such as professional instruction, a pro shop, and dining options at The Broadmoor Golf Club.
- Participate in tournaments and events hosted by The Broadmoor Golf Club.
- Enjoy the picturesque views of the Rocky Mountains while playing on the meticulously maintained courses at The Broadmoor Golf Club.
6. Cherry Creek Country Club
Overview Cherry Creek Country Club offers an exclusive, luxurious golfing experience. Its impeccably maintained course is a testament to the classic golf course design.
- A Jack Nicklaus Signature design, this course offers a perfect balance of challenge and playability.
- With water coming into play on many holes, it provides a test for accuracy and strategy.
Best For Serious golfers who love a classic country club experience. Ideal for those who value precision and strategy in their game.
7. Bear Dance Golf Club
Overview Home to the Colorado PGA, Bear Dance Golf Club provides a true Colorado golfing experience with each hole isolated from the others, offering a serene and private feel.
- The course winds through a Ponderosa Pine forest and features significant elevation changes and natural hazards.
- Multiple tee boxes on each hole accommodate all skill levels.
Best For Golfers who appreciate solitude and a connection with nature. Perfect for those seeking a peaceful yet challenging round of golf.
8. City Park Golf Course
Overview After a recent redesign, City Park Golf Course has emerged as a premier public golf course in Denver, offering stunning city and mountain views.
- The course blends history with modern design, featuring undulating greens and strategic bunkering.
- Provides a perfect urban golfing experience with skyline views of downtown Denver.
Best For Urban dwellers and visitors looking for a convenient, high-quality golfing experience in the heart of Denver.
How to Choose the Best Denver Golf Course for You?
Denver is home to a plethora of beautiful and challenging golf courses, making it a popular destination for golf enthusiasts. But with so many options, how do you choose the best one for you? In this section, we will discuss key factors to consider when selecting a Denver golf course. From your skill level to available discounts, we’ll cover it all to help you find the perfect course for your game. So, let’s get started on finding your next favorite golfing spot in Denver!
1. Consider Your Skill Level
- Honestly assess your golfing experience and competence to accurately determine your skill level.
- Take into consideration the length and complexity of the course, matching it with your ability to avoid frustration.
- Factor in your proficiency in handling various terrains and obstacles on the course.
- Consult with golf course staff or experts for guidance on selecting a course suitable for your skill level.
2. Check for Special Deals and Discounts
- Research Websites: Explore golf course websites, Groupon, or LivingSocial for discounted tee times or package deals.
- Join Loyalty Programs: Many courses offer loyalty programs or memberships providing discounted rates for frequent play.
- Off-Peak Times: Play during off-peak hours or days when courses may offer reduced rates or special deals.
- Local Publications: Check local newspapers or magazines for coupons or promotions for golf courses.
- Check for Special Deals and Discounts
Don’t just take the word of a 5-star review, make sure to ask your golf buddies for their honest opinions on these Denver courses.
3. Read Reviews and Ask for Recommendations
- Research online platforms like Yelp, Google reviews, and golfing forums to read reviews from previous visitors.
- Ask friends, family, or colleagues for recommendations on the best Denver golf courses based on their experiences.
- Consider visiting the social media pages or websites of the golf courses to check for customer testimonials and ratings.
4. Visit the Course and Talk to the Staff
- Experience the course at various times to observe the friendliness of the staff and the conditions of the course.
- Engage in conversation with the staff to learn about membership options, course rules, and any upcoming events.
- Inquire about the maintenance schedule and any ongoing improvements being made to the course.
- Discuss the accessibility for players with disabilities and any additional services provided.
It is important to engage with the staff in order to gain valuable insights before making a commitment to a golf course membership or visit.
Tips for a Successful Golfing Experience in Denver
Are you planning a golfing trip to Denver? To ensure a successful and enjoyable experience, it’s important to prepare accordingly. In this section, we’ll discuss some tips to help you make the most out of your time on the best Denver golf courses. From booking tee times to following proper etiquette, these tips will help you have a memorable and satisfying golfing experience in the Mile High City. So, let’s get started and plan for a great game of golf in Denver!
1. Plan Ahead and Book Tee Times
Denver’s golfing history dates back to the late 1800s, with the Denver Country Club being one of the earliest established clubs. Over the years, the city has become a hub for golf enthusiasts, offering a wide range of courses set against breathtaking natural backdrops.
Don’t forget to dress for success and bring your A-game (and clubs) to these top Denver golf courses.
- Check the golf course’s website for options to reserve tee times in advance.
- Consider booking tee times during non-peak hours for better availability.
- Be aware of any advance booking requirements, especially for popular courses.
- Confirm your tee time reservation to avoid any last-minute issues.
2. Dress Appropriately and Bring Proper Equipment
- Make sure to wear comfortable, breathable clothing that is suitable for both the weather and the movements required for golfing.
- When selecting shoes, opt for ones with soft spikes to provide traction and protect the course.
- It is recommended to carry a lightweight, waterproof golf bag with all the necessary clubs, tees, balls, and gloves.
- For accuracy in measuring distances, consider bringing a rangefinder or GPS device.
3. Stay Hydrated and Protect Yourself from the Sun
- Stay Hydrated: It is important to drink plenty of water before, during, and after your game to prevent dehydration and maintain peak performance.
- Protect Yourself from the Sun: To shield yourself from harmful UV rays, wear sunscreen with a high SPF, a wide-brimmed hat, and UV-protective sunglasses.
During a hot summer round, I made sure to follow these tips and stay hydrated by carrying a large water bottle, as well as protect myself from the sun by wearing a cap and UV-blocking sunglasses. This helped me stay focused, enjoy the game, and avoid feeling fatigued or sunburnt.
4. Respect the Course and Follow Etiquette
- Repair Ball Marks: Always fix any ball marks on the green to maintain the course’s quality.
- Replace Divots: Replace divots and use sand and seed mixture provided by the course.
- Rake Bunkers: Smooth out the sand and leave the bunker in good condition for the next player.
- Keep Quiet: Avoid unnecessary noise and movements to ensure a peaceful golfing atmosphere.
4. Respect the Course and Follow Etiquette
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top 10 golf courses in Denver?
According to GolfPass, the top 10 golf courses in Denver are Arrowhead Golf Club, TPC Colorado, Fossil Trace Golf Club, CommonGround Golf Course, The Ridge at Castle Pines North, Broadmoor, The Golf Club at Ravenna, Red Sky Golf Club, City Park Golf Course, and Murphy Creek.
What are the unique perks offered by Denver’s public golf courses?
Denver’s public golf courses offer the unique perk of being able to book caddies at some courses through subsidized programs. This allows golfers to enhance their experience and receive insider tips from local experts.
How much can I expect to pay for green fees at Denver’s top golf courses?
Green fees at Denver’s top golf courses typically range from $125-175. These fees reflect the high demand for tee times at popular courses in the summertime.
What are the best ways to experience the diverse golf offerings in Denver?
One of the best ways to experience the diverse golf offerings in Denver is through the GolfPass Local Advisors program. This allows golfers to receive insider tips and recommendations from local experts in the Colorado golf community.
What are the top rated golf courses in Denver for a Colorado golf vacation?
The top rated golf courses for a Colorado golf vacation in Denver include CommonGround Golf Course, The Ridge Course at Castle Pines North, and Fossil Trace Golf Club. These courses offer stunning mountain scenery and challenging layouts.
What are the best Denver golf courses for outdoor lovers and those seeking scenic views?
For outdoor lovers and those seeking scenic views, the best Denver golf courses include Arrowhead Golf Club, The Ridge at Castle Pines North, and CommonGround Golf Course. These courses offer unique mountain scenery and strong layouts.