A golf chipper is a specialized golf club designed to help golfers with precision and accuracy when playing shots around the green. It is typically used for short approach shots and is an alternative to using a traditional wedge or putter. This club has gained popularity among golfers of all levels due to its unique design and benefits.
A golf chipper differs from other golf clubs in a few ways. Firstly, it has a higher loft compared to a putter but lower than a wedge, making it suitable for a variety of shots. Secondly, it has a shorter shaft and heavier clubhead, giving it more control and stability. Lastly, it has a hybrid-like design, providing the best of both worlds between a putter and a wedge.
When choosing a golf chipper, there are several factors to consider. The most crucial ones are:
- Loft: The ideal loft for a golf chipper is between 35-40 degrees.
- Weight: A heavier chipper allows for better control and stability.
- Shaft Length: The length of the shaft should be comfortable and suitable for your swing.
- Grip: The grip should be comfortable and provide a good feel for your shots.
- Clubhead Design: The design of the clubhead can affect the ball’s spin and trajectory, so choose one that suits your playing style.
Using a golf chipper can provide several benefits for golfers, including:
- Easier to Control: The design of the chipper allows for more control and precision on short shots.
- Versatile Around the Green: A golf chipper can be used for a variety of shots, including chipping, pitching, and bump-and-run shots.
- Saves Time and Energy: With its hybrid-like design, a golf chipper can save time and energy by eliminating the need to switch between clubs for different shots.
Some of the top golf chippers in the market include the Odyssey Red Ball Putter, Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Wedge, Pinemeadow Golf Excel EGI Chipper, Ray Cook Golf Extreme Aim Chipper, and Wilson Harmonized Golf Chipper.
- Easily control your chips with a golf chipper’s specific loft, weight, shaft length, grip, and clubhead design.
- Save time and energy by using a golf chipper – its versatile around the green, making it suitable for various situations.
- Consider top golf chippers such as Odyssey Red Ball Putter, Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Wedge, Pinemeadow Golf Excel EGI Chipper, Ray Cook Golf Extreme Aim Chipper, and Wilson Harmonized Golf Chipper.
What Is A Golf Chipper?
A golf chipper is a specialized golf club used for short approach shots around the green. Its purpose is to assist golfers in making precise and controlled shots, allowing them to get the ball closer to the hole.
When choosing a golf chipper, it is important to take into account factors such as the loft angle, club length, and weight distribution. Some popular choices include the Odyssey X-Act Tank Chipper and the Ray Cook Golf Silver Ray Chipper.
How Is A Golf Chipper Different From Other Golf Clubs?
- Golf chipper vs. other clubs: A chipper has a higher loft angle, shorter shaft, and is designed for short approach shots around the green.
- Understanding loft angle: The chipper’s high loft angle allows the ball to be lifted easily, making it ideal for short distances and rough terrain.
- Shorter shaft advantage: The shorter shaft of a chipper provides better control and accuracy for short shots compared to other clubs.
- Specialized use: Unlike other clubs, a chipper is specifically crafted for precise, low-rolling shots close to the putting green.
What Are The Factors To Consider When Choosing A Golf Chipper?
When it comes to improving your golf game, having the right golf equipment is essential. One club that can greatly improve your short game is a golf chipper. However, with so many options available on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for your needs. In this section, we will discuss the key factors to consider when selecting a golf chipper, including loft, weight, shaft length, grip, and clubhead design. By understanding these factors, you can make an informed decision and find the perfect chipper for your game.
When considering the loft of a golf chipper, follow these essential steps:
- Understand the loft angle, which typically ranges from 30 to 37 degrees.
- Choose a loft angle based on the green conditions and your chipping style.
- Consider a higher loft for softer turf and a lower loft for firmer surfaces.
- When choosing a golf chipper, consider its weight to ensure it feels comfortable in your hands and provides stability during the swing.
- Select a weight that allows for control and precision while also being light enough to prevent fatigue during extended use.
- Balance the weight with other factors such as loft and grip to find the ideal combination for your playing style.
In golf, the weight of a chipper plays a crucial role in a golfer’s ability to effectively maneuver and strike the golf ball.
Size matters, especially when it comes to golf club shafts – make sure your chipper is the perfect length for your game.
3. Shaft Length
- Check the standard shaft length for golf chippers, which is typically around 35 inches.
- Consider customizing the shaft length based on your height and posture to ensure maximum comfort and control.
- Experiment with different shaft lengths to find the most suitable one for your swing and chipping technique.
In the 1980s, golf chipper clubs gained popularity due to their utility in short-distance shots, revolutionizing golfing techniques.
Remember, a good grip on your golf chipper is key, unless you want to accidentally chip your ball into the water and give the fish a new toy.
- Comfort: Make sure the grip size provides a comfortable and secure feel in your hands, preventing any slippage during your swing.
- Material: Choose a grip material based on your personal preference, such as rubber, cord, or synthetic compounds, each offering unique textures and traction.
- Thickness: Select the appropriate grip thickness to match your hand size and grip pressure, ensuring a consistent and stable hold on the club.
5. Clubhead Design
- Perimeter Weighted: These clubheads have the weight distributed around the perimeter, enhancing forgiveness and stability.
- Cavity Back: Featuring a hollowed-out design, this type of clubhead redistributes weight to the perimeter, allowing for a larger sweet spot and improved accuracy.
- Blade Style: These clubheads offer a traditional design with the majority of the weight positioned directly behind the clubface, providing precision and control.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Golf Chipper?
When it comes to golf, having the right equipment can make all the difference in your game. One often overlooked but highly effective club is the golf chipper. This specialized club offers numerous benefits that can improve your short game and overall performance on the course. In this section, we will discuss the advantages of using a golf chipper, including easier control over your shots, versatility around the green, and saving time and energy on difficult shots.
1. Easier to Control
- Positioning: Stand with feet close together, center the ball in the stance, and lean slightly toward the target.
- Swing Technique: Use a putting-style stroke, keeping the wrists firm and minimizing body movement.
- Practice Drills: Hone chip shots through consistent short-game practice, focusing on control and accuracy.
To improve control, try experimenting with different clubhead designs and grip types.
Who needs a Swiss Army knife when you can have a golf chipper that does it all around the green?
2. Versatile Around the Green
- Assess the lie: Evaluate the grass length and texture to determine the type of shot required.
- Club selection: Choose the appropriate versatile golf chipper based on the lie and the required trajectory.
- Address the ball: Position yourself with the ball in the center of your stance and your weight slightly forward.
- Execute the shot: Utilize a putting-like stroke to chip the ball onto the green with precision.
- Practice: Hone your skills by practicing various chip shots from different lies and distances.
Who knew a golf club could save you time and energy? Just get yourself a golf chipper and watch those strokes disappear.
3. Saves Time and Energy
- Positioning: Stand with feet close together, aligning the ball with the back foot.
- Swing Technique: Use a putting motion, keeping the wrists firm for a controlled stroke.
- Practice Drills: Work on distance control by varying the length of backswing.
The golf chipper’s origin dates back to the 1980s when it was designed to provide golfers with an easier alternative for short-distance shots, revolutionizing the game with its time-saving and energy-efficient features.
What Are The Top Golf Chippers in the Market?
If you’re looking to improve your short game and lower your scores on the golf course, a golf chipper can be a valuable addition to your bag. But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this section, we will explore the top golf chippers in the market and what sets them apart from the rest. From the innovative design of the Odyssey Red Ball Putter to the versatility of the Wilson Harmonized Golf Chipper, we’ll cover the top five options to help you make an informed decision.
1. Odyssey Red Ball Putter
- Positioning: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and align the Odyssey Red Ball Putter‘s red ball with the intended line of the putt.
- Swing Technique: Adopt a pendulum-like motion, utilizing your shoulders and arms to swing the Odyssey Red Ball Putter back and through.
- Practice Drills: Use the Odyssey Red Ball Putter to practice distance control and alignment on the putting green.
This wedge will make you feel like a pro, even if your golf skills say otherwise.
2. Cleveland Smart Sole Chipper
- Positioning: Align the ball with the center of your stance and favor your front foot slightly.
- Swing Technique: Keep your hands ahead of the ball, maintain a firm wrist, and use a putting-like stroke when using the Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Wedge.
- Practice Drills: Work on distance control by practicing different distances from the green with the Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Wedge.
To enhance your chipping game, focus on mastering the positioning, swing technique, and regular practice with the Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Wedge.
Overview: While not a traditional chipper, the Cleveland Smart Sole 4.0 Wedge is designed to simplify short game shots, much like a chipper. It’s excellent for golfers who want a versatile club for various situations.
- Features an extra-wide sole with a 42-degree loft for smooth turf interaction.
- Includes a feel-balancing technology for better distance control.
- The aggressive milled grooves improve spin and control.
Price: Approximately $120 – $130.
Best For: Golfers seeking a high-quality, versatile club that can handle a range of short game shots with ease.
3. Pinemeadow Golf Excel EGI Chipper
- Club head design: The Pinemeadow Golf Excel EGI Chipper features a well-balanced clubhead design, aiding in a smooth swing and enhanced control.
- Loft: With a loft of 37 degrees, this chipper facilitates high, soft landing shots, making it suitable for various green conditions.
- Weight: Weighing 1 pound, this chipper provides stability during shots, promoting consistency in performance.
- Shaft length: The 35-inch shaft allows for comfortable positioning and contributes to better shot accuracy.
- Grip: Equipped with a standard-sized putter grip, this chipper ensures a secure and comfortable hold, enhancing overall shot control.
With the Ray Cook Golf Extreme Aim Chipper, you can aim with precision and hit your target like a golf ninja.
4. Ray Cook Golf Extreme Aim Chipper
Overview: The Ray Cook Silver Ray CP-03 Chipper offers a sleek design with functionality to match. This chipper is a great choice for golfers who value style and performance.
- Boasts a 32-degree loft for versatility around the greens.
- Designed with a site alignment aid for improved accuracy.
- The mid-size wedge sole helps prevent digging and improves chip shot consistency.
Price: Around $50 – $60.
Best For: Golfers of all skill levels who are looking for a stylish yet functional chipper to enhance their short game.
- The Ray Cook Golf Extreme Aim Chipper features an innovative clubhead design with a wide sole and an aim alignment aid, ensuring better accuracy for short shots.
Join the Wilson Harmonized revolution and chip your way to victory on the green with ease.
5. Wilson Harmonized Golf Chipper
Overview: Wilson’s Harmonized Golf Chipper offers a classic and elegant design with modern functionality. It’s ideal for players who want a balanced feel with improved control.
- Comes with a 32-degree loft angle, suitable for shorter chips.
- Features a wider sole to prevent digging and improve glide through the turf.
- The alignment aid on the top promotes better accuracy.
Price: Around $60 – $70.
Best For: Intermediate golfers who want a reliable chipper with a traditional design and improved turf interaction.
- Positioning: Stand with your feet close together and the ball positioned in the center of your stance.
- Swing Technique: Utilize a putting-like stroke with minimal wrist action for consistent and accurate shots.
- Practice Drills: Improve your chipping skills by practicing different distances and lies with the 5. Wilson Harmonized Golf Chipper.
6. Intech EZ Roll Chipper
Overview: The Intech EZ Roll Chipper is known for its user-friendly design, making it an excellent choice for beginners and high-handicappers. Its back-weighted design provides better performance around the greens.
- Features a 35-degree loft, perfect for a variety of short game shots.
- The design includes a back-weighted system to increase the ball’s flight and reduce skidding.
- Includes an alignment tool to help improve accuracy.
Price: Approximately $40 – $50.
Best For: Golfers who are looking for an affordable and straightforward chipper to improve their short game, particularly those who struggle with conventional wedges.
How To Use A Golf Chipper?
A golf chipper can be an invaluable tool on the course, helping you get out of tricky situations with ease. But how exactly do you use one? In this section, we will discuss the key elements of using a golf chipper effectively. From proper positioning to mastering the swing technique, we’ll cover all the necessary steps to improve your chipping game. Plus, we’ll share some helpful practice drills to take your chipping skills to the next level. Get ready to elevate your golf game with these tips and techniques for using a golf chipper.
When utilizing a golf chipper, proper positioning is essential for a successful shot. Stand with your feet close together, slightly narrower than shoulder-width apart. Place the ball in the center or slightly back in your stance. Shift more weight onto your front foot for improved control. Keep your hands in front of the ball to ensure a downward strike.
Follow these steps to enhance your chip shots and improve your overall golf game:
- Stand with your feet close together, slightly narrower than shoulder-width apart.
- Place the ball in the center or slightly back in your stance.
- Shift more weight onto your front foot for improved control.
- Keep your hands in front of the ball to ensure a downward strike.
2. Swing Technique
Mastering the swing technique for a golf chipper involves precise movements and control:
- Position your feet closer together than usual.
- Place the ball back in your stance.
- Adopt a putting grip for increased control.
- Use a pendulum-like swing motion for short, controlled shots.
The golf chipper, initially met with resistance, gained popularity for its utility in short-range shots, revolutionizing golfers’ approach to the game.
3. Practice Drills
- Alignment drill: Place two clubs on the ground to create a narrow path. Practice chipping balls through the path to enhance accuracy and improve your chipping skills.
- Landing spot challenge: Position targets at various distances and heights. Aim to hit the targets consistently, enhancing precision and distance control and honing your chipping abilities.
- Club selection exercise: Use different chippers to gauge their performance in various scenarios, enabling proficiency with different clubs and improving your overall golf game.
By diligently practicing these 3 practice drills, a golfer was able to reduce their handicap by four strokes, demonstrating the effectiveness of these exercises.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the top pick for the best golf chipper?
The Ping ChipR is considered the top pick for the best golf chipper, with added consistency and forgiving features for all distances.
2. Which players have been spotted using the Ping ChipR?
PGA professionals Rickie Fowler and Tony Finau have both been spotted using the Ping ChipR, as well as LPGA pro Megan Khang and top amateur Rose Zhang.
3. Are chippers recommended for less experienced players?
Yes, chippers are recommended for less experienced players, as they can be easier to use and provide added consistency for those with a less trained eye for chipping techniques.
4. What are the key takeaways from expert reviewers about the Odyssey X-Act chipper?
The Odyssey X-Act chipper is generally considered a player-friendly option, with its round grip that does not break any USGA rules. However, some reviewers have had trouble with distance control and recommend trying it before purchasing.
5. What are the reasons to avoid the Mazel Wedge?
The Mazel Wedge is not recommended by experts due to its lack of performance and durability compared to other options on the market.
6. How do chippers compare to traditional wedges in terms of scoring clubs?
Chippers are considered to be more forgiving and easier to use compared to traditional wedges, making them a popular choice among mid and high-handicappers who struggle with their short game. However, some professionals, such as Ben Kohles and Sahith Theegala, have also had success using chippers on the PGA Tour.