Nestled in the Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is known for its beautiful landscape and warm climate, making it a popular destination for golfers. With over 200 golf courses in the area, it can be overwhelming to choose the best ones to play. To help you narrow down your options, here are the top golf courses in Scottsdale that are a must-visit for any golf enthusiast.
What makes a golf course “the best” can vary from person to person, but some key factors that contribute to a great golfing experience include beautiful course design, high-quality conditions, and exceptional amenities and services. These top 5 courses in Scottsdale excel in all these areas, making them stand out from the rest.
- Troon North Golf Club: Designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish, this 36-hole facility offers stunning views of the desert and mountains, along with challenging yet enjoyable courses.
- TPC Scottsdale: Home to the Waste Management Phoenix Open, this 36-hole course designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish features immaculately manicured greens and challenging holes.
- Grayhawk Golf Club: This 36-hole facility offers two courses, the Talon and the Raptor, both designed by Tom Fazio and known for their unique layouts and picturesque views.
- We-Ko-Pa Golf Club: This 36-hole facility offers two courses, the Saguaro and the Cholla, both designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, and are known for their challenging and natural desert terrain.
- The Boulders Resort & Spa: This 36-hole facility offers two courses, the North and the South, both designed by Jay Morrish, and are known for their unique rock formations and serene desert surroundings.
Apart from their exceptional design and conditions, these courses also offer top-notch amenities and services, such as upscale clubhouses, on-course food and beverage options, and professional caddies available for hire.
Before booking a tee time at one of these courses, it’s essential to keep a few things in mind. Firstly, make sure to book tee times in advance as these courses can get busy, especially during peak season. Secondly, be prepared for the heat and stay hydrated. Lastly, consider hiring a caddie to enhance your experience and get insider tips on navigating through the courses.
In conclusion, these top 5 golf courses in Scottsdale offer not only exceptional golfing experiences but also the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful landscapes and weather of the Sonoran Desert. With their unique designs, challenging holes, and top-notch amenities, they are a must-visit for any golfer visiting the area.
- Experience some of the best golf courses in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Top courses stand out with their unique layouts, picturesque surroundings, well-maintained facilities, and impeccable service.
- Plan ahead, stay hydrated, and consider hiring a caddie for the ultimate golfing experience in Scottsdale.
What Makes a Golf Course “The Best”?
When determining what makes a golf course “the best,” several factors come into play.
- Course Design: The layout, variety of holes, and strategic challenges all contribute to the overall experience of a golf course.
- Course Condition: The maintenance of fairways, greens, and bunkers is crucial for an enjoyable round of golf.
- Scenic Beauty: Aesthetically pleasing landscapes and stunning views enhance the overall golfing experience.
- Facilities: Top-notch amenities such as a clubhouse, practice areas, and dining options can elevate the overall experience.
- Reputation: A golf course’s reputation, professional tournaments hosted, and positive reviews all contribute to its status as “the best.”
- Customer Service: Exceptional customer service, attentive staff, and a welcoming atmosphere can also add to the overall experience of a golf course.
- Location: Convenient accessibility and proximity to other attractions can also influence the ranking of a golf course.
Top Golf Courses In Scottsdale
Scottsdale, Arizona is known for its beautiful desert landscape and top-rated golf courses. In this section, we will take a closer look at the top golf courses in Scottsdale. From the iconic Troon North Golf Club to the luxurious Boulders Resort & Spa, each course offers a unique and challenging experience for golfers of all levels. Let’s explore these renowned courses and what sets them apart from the rest.
1. Troon North Golf Club
Regarded as a hallmark of desert golf, Troon North features two 18-hole courses: the Monument and the Pinnacle. These courses blend beautifully with the natural landscape, featuring towering cacti, rugged terrain, and breathtaking mountain backdrops. The Monument Course, designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish, is famous for its challenging layout and stunning vistas. The Pinnacle Course offers a slightly different play style but is equally mesmerizing.
Troon North Golf Club in Scottsdale is well-known for its exceptional golfing experience. Featuring two 18-hole courses, the Monument and the Pinnacle, it offers breathtaking views of the desert and challenging play. The course design and layout seamlessly blend natural beauty with strategic shot-making opportunities. Immaculate course conditions and meticulous maintenance ensure a pleasurable round. Troon North also offers top-notch amenities and services, including a well-stocked pro shop and knowledgeable staff.
It is highly recommended to book tee times in advance, as this popular course tends to fill up quickly. In fact, I recall a friend who missed the chance to play at Troon North because they didn’t plan ahead. Don’t make the same error!
2. TPC Scottsdale
Home to the PGA Tour’s Waste Management Phoenix Open, TPC Scottsdale is arguably the most famous golf course in the city. It boasts two courses: the Stadium Course and the Champions Course. The Stadium Course, known for its fan-friendly design and iconic 16th hole, offers an unforgettable experience, allowing golfers to walk in the footsteps of some of the game’s greatest players. The Champions Course, while less famous, is equally challenging and scenic. TPC Scottsdale is a highly regarded golf course located in Scottsdale, known for its exceptional features and amenities.
- Course Design and Layout: TPC Scottsdale boasts two championship courses, the Stadium Course and the Champions Course, both designed by renowned architects.
- Scenic Views and Surroundings: The courses offer breathtaking views of the McDowell Mountains and Sonoran Desert landscapes.
- Course Conditions and Maintenance: TPC Scottsdale prides itself on maintaining impeccable course conditions year-round, ensuring a top-notch playing experience.
- Amenities and Services: The facility offers a luxurious clubhouse, professional instruction, a pro shop, and fine dining options.
Pro-tip: Don’t miss out on the opportunity to experience the famous par-3 16th hole at the Stadium Course, known for its lively atmosphere during the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
3. Grayhawk Golf Club
Grayhawk Golf Club, located in Scottsdale, Arizona, is a top-rated golf course. Grayhawk offers two courses: the Talon and the Raptor. Both courses present unique challenges and stunning views of the McDowell Mountains. The Talon Course is known for its dramatic box canyons and desert vistas, while the Raptor Course, designed by Tom Fazio, offers a more traditional layout with generous fairways and deep bunkers. The club’s amenities, including excellent dining options and a welcoming clubhouse, make it a top choice for golfers.
Grayhawk Golf Club has a rich history dating back to its opening in 1994. It has hosted numerous professional golf events, including the PGA Tour’s Frys.com Open. The club’s two championship courses, Talon and Raptor, offer challenging play and an unforgettable golfing experience.
4. We-Ko-Pa Golf Club
The We-Ko-Pa Saguaro Golf Course, designed by the acclaimed duo Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, stands as a masterpiece in Scottsdale’s golf landscape. We-Ko-Pa Golf Club in Scottsdale is known for its exceptional course design, stunning surroundings, impeccable maintenance, and top-notch amenities. The club boasts two 18-hole courses, the Cholla and the Saguaro, both offering breathtaking views of the Sonoran Desert. With no homes or development encroaching on the courses, players can fully immerse themselves in the natural beauty of the area.
The club’s dedication to course conditions and maintenance ensures a pristine playing experience. Golfers at We-Ko-Pa also enjoy excellent amenities, including a clubhouse, pro shop, practice facilities, and dining options. Playing at We-Ko-Pa is truly an unforgettable golfing experience.
Located on the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation, We-Ko-Pa is an experience of pure desert golf. It has two courses: the Cholla and the Saguaro. The Cholla Course, designed by Scott Miller, is known for its challenging terrain and panoramic views. The Saguaro Course, designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, favors a more traditional walking experience and offers a strategic challenge to any golfer.
5. The Boulders Resort & Spa
The Boulders Resort & Spa, located in Scottsdale, is a top golf course known for its stunning views and luxurious amenities. The Boulders is celebrated not just for its golf courses but also for its stunning natural setting. The club has two championship courses, the North and the South, both of which are set against the backdrop of ancient boulder formations. The courses are known for their rugged beauty and the way they harmonize with the Sonoran Desert landscape.
With its beautiful surroundings and excellent services, The Boulders Resort & Spa, a must-visit destination for golf enthusiasts, is the perfect location to book your tee time in advance and enjoy a round of golf while staying hydrated and protected from the sun’s rays. Enhance your experience by considering hiring a caddie who can provide expert advice on navigating the course.
They don’t just have grass and sand, they also have breathtaking views and top-notch amenities, making them the creme de la creme of Scottsdale golf courses.
6. Quintero Golf Club
Situated amidst the serene landscapes of the Sonoran Desert, Quintero Golf Club stands out as one of Scottsdale’s premier golf destinations. Known for its pristine condition and challenging layout, Quintero offers a golfing experience that is both unique and unforgettable.
Quintero Golf Club is more than just a golf course; it’s a destination that offers a unique blend of challenging golf, stunning scenery, and impeccable service. Its reputation as one of the top golf courses in Scottsdale is well-deserved, attracting golfers who seek an unparalleled desert golf experience. Whether you’re a seasoned player looking for a challenging round or a golf enthusiast wanting to enjoy a day surrounded by natural beauty, Quintero Golf Club promises an unforgettable golfing adventure.
What Sets These Courses Apart From Others In Scottsdale?
Scottsdale, Arizona is known for its stunning desert landscapes and world-class golf courses. But what sets the best golf courses in Scottsdale apart from the rest? In this section, we’ll take a closer look at the unique features and qualities that make these courses stand out. From the meticulous design and layout to the picturesque views and top-notch amenities, these courses offer an unparalleled golfing experience. Let’s dive into what sets them apart from other courses in Scottsdale.
1. Course Design And Layout
The design and layout of a golf course are crucial in determining its overall quality. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
- Challenging yet fair: A well-designed course offers a balanced combination of challenging holes that test players’ skills while still providing opportunities for success.
- Variety of holes: A great course should have a mix of hole lengths, shapes, and angles, providing golfers with diverse shot-making opportunities.
- Strategic bunkering: Thoughtfully placed bunkers can add excitement and challenge to the game, forcing players to carefully plan their shots.
- Scenic views: Stunning landscapes and beautiful surroundings enhance the overall golfing experience, creating a visually appealing atmosphere.
- Player-friendly navigation: Clear signage, yardage markers, and course maps contribute to a seamless and enjoyable round of golf.
The concept of course design and layout has been around since the early days of golf. In the 18th century, golf courses evolved from natural landscapes to intentionally designed layouts. The Old Course at St Andrews, Scotland, is often considered the birthplace of modern course architecture. Today, talented golf course architects continue to shape the game by creating innovative designs and layouts that challenge and inspire players around the world. Get ready to lose your ball in some of the most beautiful scenery Scottsdale has to offer.
2. Scenic Views And Surroundings
Scenic views and surroundings are essential elements that distinguish the top golf courses in Scottsdale from the rest. These courses offer stunning vistas of the desert landscape, with magnificent mountains and vibrant flora.
Troon North Golf Club provides sweeping views of Pinnacle Peak and the Sonoran Desert, while Grayhawk Golf Club boasts breathtaking mountain backdrops. TPC Scottsdale is renowned for its picturesque views of the McDowell Mountains. The Boulders Resort & Spa offers golfers a chance to admire massive boulder formations amidst the beautiful desert scenery.
Experience the beauty of nature while playing a round of golf at these exceptional courses in Scottsdale.
The only sand trap you’ll find here is the one you’ll have to dig yourself out of with your poorly maintained swing.
3. Course Conditions And Maintenance
Maintaining excellent course conditions is crucial for providing the best golf course experience. Here are the steps taken to ensure optimal course conditions and maintenance:
- Frequent mowing and trimming of fairways, roughs, and greens to maintain a uniform and well-manicured appearance.
- Regular irrigation and drainage systems to prevent waterlogging and maintain proper moisture levels.
- Proper fertilization and soil management to promote healthy turf growth and prevent disease and pest infestation.
- Ongoing aerification and topdressing to alleviate soil compaction and encourage better root growth.
- Meticulous bunker maintenance, including regular raking and edging, to provide consistent playability.
- Regular tree and shrub pruning to enhance the aesthetics and preserve sightlines on the course.
By implementing these course maintenance practices, we can guarantee a high-quality playing surface and an exceptional golfing experience.
4. Amenities And Services
When it comes to the best golf courses in Scottsdale, amenities and services play a crucial role. These top-rated courses, such as Troon North Golf Club and TPC Scottsdale, offer exceptional facilities to enhance your golfing experience. Some amenities and services to consider include:
- Clubhouse: Enjoy luxurious clubhouses with dining options, locker rooms, and pro shops offering a wide range of golfing gear and apparel.
- Practice Facilities: Take advantage of state-of-the-art driving ranges, putting greens, and short game areas to refine your skills.
- Golf Carts and Caddies: Many courses provide golf carts for convenience, while others offer the option to hire knowledgeable caddies to assist you during your round.
- On-Course Refreshments: Stay hydrated and energized with strategically placed beverage carts offering refreshments and snacks throughout your game.
Pro-tip: Make the most out of your time on the course by taking advantage of the amenities and services offered by these top golf courses in Scottsdale to enhance your overall golfing experience.
Don’t let the beautiful scenery distract you from your game, or you’ll be adding more strokes to your scorecard than a politician adds to their expense report.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Are The Must-Play Courses In Scottsdale For A First-Time Visitor?
The TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course, home of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, is a must-play for any golf enthusiast. Other top picks include the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club’s Saguaro and Cholla courses, known for their natural desert landscapes and challenging layouts, and the Grayhawk Golf Club’s Raptor and Talon courses, both highly ranked and known for their unique design elements.
2. Are There Any Hidden Gem Courses In Scottsdale Worth Checking Out?
Absolutely! The Wigwam Golf Club, located in Litchfield Park, offers a unique resort experience with its 36-hole facility and original designer, Robert Trent Jones Sr. The Verrado Golf Club, located in the Sonoran Desert foothills, boasts the Victory at Verrado course, which was named one of the best in Arizona by Golf Digest’s architecture editor emeritus, Ron Whitten.
3. What Are Some Top Public Tracks In The Scottsdale Area?
Scottsdale is a top golf destination with over 300 courses in the surrounding area. Some top public tracks to consider include the Scottsdale National Golf Club, home to the Tour’s Frys.com Open, and the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club, known for its unique layout and challenging desert landscape.
4. Which Course Is Known For Its Surreal Setting And Granite Boulder Formations?
The Boulders Club, located in Carefree, is known for its stunning desert landscape, featuring giant saguaros and granite boulder formations. This course, designed by Jay Morrish and Tom Weiskopf, offers a challenging layout with a links feel and is ranked as one of the 100 Greatest Public members by Golf Digest.
5. What Are Some Tips For Balancing Greens Fees And Quality Of Experience When Planning A Golf Trip To Scottsdale?
Consider playing a mix of courses, including some top-ranked courses like TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course, along with more affordable options like SunRidge Canyon Golf Club or Papago Golf Club. Also, try to book tee times during the week when greens fees tend to be lower.
6. How Can I Make The Most Of My Four Or Five-Day Golf Trip To Scottsdale?
With so many great courses to choose from, it can be overwhelming to plan a golf trip to Scottsdale. Some good calls include playing multiple courses in one day, as well as taking advantage of package deals offered by many resorts in the area. Also, don’t forget to check out the city center of old town Scottsdale for some good times off the course.