Georgia, with its lush landscapes and temperate climate, is a golfer’s paradise, offering a diverse array of courses that cater to every level of skill and preference. From the historic links in Savannah to the championship courses in Atlanta, Georgia’s golf courses are renowned for their beauty, challenge, and southern charm. This blog will guide you through some of the best golf courses in the Peach State, each offering a unique golfing experience.
Golf has a rich history in Georgia, with over 400 courses spread throughout the state. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a beginner, Georgia offers top-notch golf courses with beautiful landscapes and challenging layouts.
In this article, we will explore the top 10 golf courses in Georgia, factors to consider when choosing a course, and some tips for playing golf in this southern state.
Home to the Masters Tournament, Georgia is known as a golfer’s paradise. The state boasts a diverse selection of courses, from historical clubs to luxurious resort courses. Many of these courses have hosted major tournaments and are well-known among golf enthusiasts worldwide. With a temperate climate, golf can be enjoyed year-round in Georgia, making it a popular destination for golfers.
- The best golf courses in Georgia offer a combination of challenging course design, impeccable maintenance, and top-notch amenities and services.
- When choosing a golf course in Georgia, consider factors such as location, course design, course conditions, reputation, and amenities offered.
- When playing golf in Georgia, be prepared for the heat and humidity, and plan your tee times and attire accordingly to ensure an enjoyable and comfortable experience.
Top 10 Golf Courses in Georgia
Georgia is home to some of the most prestigious and picturesque golf courses in the world. In this section, we will explore the top 10 golf courses in Georgia, each offering a unique and challenging experience for golfers of all levels. From the iconic Augusta National Golf Club to the stunning Sea Island Golf Club, we will take a closer look at what makes these courses stand out among the rest. So, let’s tee off and discover the best golf courses in Georgia.
1. Augusta National Golf Club
Overview: Home to the Masters Tournament, Augusta National is not just the most famous golf course in Georgia but one of the most iconic in the world. Its immaculate fairways and challenging greens set against the backdrop of azaleas and dogwoods make for an unforgettable golfing experience.
- Exclusive and private, offering an unparalleled level of service and amenities.
- Known for Amen Corner, holes 11, 12, and 13, which are among the most famous and challenging in golf.
Best For: While playing Augusta National might be a dream for many, access is highly exclusive, reserved for members and their guests.
Augusta National Golf Club is a renowned golf course located in Georgia, famous for hosting the prestigious Masters Tournament. Its iconic features, such as the blooming azaleas and the challenging Amen Corner, make it a must-visit destination for golf enthusiasts. The club’s exclusivity only adds to its allure, with a limited number of members and a strict invitation-only policy. Its meticulous maintenance and immaculate greens make it a top choice for professional golfers and passionate fans alike.
One remarkable true tale that showcases Augusta National’s prestige involves a golfer achieving a hole-in-one at the famous 16th hole during the Masters, receiving a well-deserved standing ovation from the audience.
2. Sea Island Golf Club
Sea Island Golf Club is a renowned golf destination in Georgia, offering a world-class experience for golf enthusiasts.
- Step 1: Reserve your tee time in advance to secure your spot at this popular course.
- Step 2: Arrive early to take advantage of the exceptional practice facilities and warm up before your round.
- Step 3: Enjoy the stunning surroundings and picturesque views as you navigate the challenging and well-maintained 18-hole course at Sea Island Golf Club.
- Step 4: Take advantage of the professional instruction and coaching available to enhance your game.
- Step 5: After your round, relax and unwind at the clubhouse, where you can indulge in delicious dining options and enjoy the breathtaking scenery of Sea Island Golf Club.
Pro-tip: Don’t forget to capture the memories of your experience at Sea Island Golf Club by taking photos of the beautiful landscapes and iconic landmarks.
3. East Lake Golf Club
Overview: Located in Atlanta, East Lake is the permanent home of the Tour Championship, the final event of the PGA Tour Playoff. Rich in history, it was the home course of golf legend Bobby Jones.
- A classic Donald Ross design that has been updated to challenge the world’s best golfers.
- Known for its deep bunkers and lightning-fast greens.
Best For: Golfers looking for a challenging and historically significant course. While private, East Lake hosts charity and corporate events offering access to non-members.
East Lake Golf Club, located in Atlanta, Georgia, is a highly esteemed golf course known for its impressive history and stunning course design. The club has been the host of numerous professional golf tournaments, including the TOUR Championship.
When considering East Lake Golf Club as a golfing destination, it is important to take into account factors such as its convenient location and accessibility, well-crafted course design and layout, impeccable course conditions and maintenance, renowned reputation and rich history, and exceptional amenities and services offered. With its challenging course and top-of-the-line facilities, East Lake Golf Club remains a top choice for golfers seeking an exceptional golfing experience in Georgia.
Reynolds Lake Oconee: Where the only thing hotter than the weather is your golf game (hopefully).
4. Reynolds Lake Oconee
Overview: With six courses designed by legends like Jack Nicklaus, Rees Jones, and Tom Fazio, Reynolds Lake Oconee offers diverse golfing experiences set against the backdrop of beautiful Lake Oconee.
- Great Waters, a Jack Nicklaus signature course, offers stunning lake views on nearly every hole.
- The Oconee course, designed by Rees Jones, is known for its risk-reward holes and scenic beauty.
Best For: Golfers seeking variety and a high-end resort experience. Reynolds Lake Oconee caters to golfers of all skill levels with its range of courses and world-class amenities.
Reynolds Lake Oconee is a premier golf destination in Georgia, renowned for its breathtaking natural surroundings and top-notch facilities. Its challenging course layout and impeccable upkeep make it a must-visit for golf enthusiasts from all corners of the globe. Nestled in a picturesque location, Reynolds Lake Oconee offers a tranquil and idyllic atmosphere for a round of golf.
The course’s esteemed reputation and rich history only add to its appeal among players seeking an exceptional golfing experience. Furthermore, the resort boasts a variety of amenities and services, including dining options and accommodations, ensuring a complete and enjoyable golf getaway.
5. Peachtree Golf Club
Overview: Designed by Bobby Jones and Robert Trent Jones, Peachtree Golf Club in Atlanta is considered one of the best examples of golf course architecture in the United States.
- Known for its rolling terrain, strategic bunkering, and pristine conditions.
- The course layout emphasizes strategic play and precision.
Best For: Serious golfers who appreciate a classic design that requires thoughtful shot-making. Access is exclusive to members and their guests.
Peachtree Golf Club, located in Atlanta, Georgia, is renowned for its challenging layout and impeccable course conditions, making it one of the top golf courses in the state. Established in 1947, this club has a rich history and has hosted many prestigious tournaments, earning a reputation for its exceptional service and amenities. Golfers, both local residents and visitors, can expect a memorable experience on this beautifully designed course that highlights the natural beauty of Georgia.
Come and play a round of golf at Peachtree Golf Club, set in a historic and picturesque setting.
If you want a hole-in-one, play at The Golf Club at Cuscowilla – just watch out for the resident alligators.
6. The Golf Club at Cuscowilla
The Golf Club at Cuscowilla is a premier golf course in Georgia, renowned for its picturesque lakeside location and challenging layout. Situated in Eatonton, Georgia, it offers golfers a one-of-a-kind and unforgettable experience. The course design seamlessly incorporates natural features such as rolling hills and stunning lake views. Golfers can expect perfectly manicured fairways, immaculate greens, and a serene atmosphere.
The Golf Club at Cuscowilla also boasts top-notch amenities, including a clubhouse, pro shop, and various dining options. Whether you are a novice or a seasoned golfer, this course guarantees an exceptional golfing experience in Georgia.
Fun Fact: In 2019, The Golf Club at Cuscowilla was the chosen venue for the Georgia State Golf Association’s Mid-Amateur Championship.
7. The Farm Golf Club
The Farm Golf Club in Georgia offers a one-of-a-kind and picturesque golfing experience. With its breathtaking landscape and challenging course design, it is a beloved destination for golf enthusiasts. The club’s unwavering commitment to maintaining course conditions ensures an exceptional playing experience.
The Farm Golf Club stands out from other courses in the area with its reputation for exceptional service and amenities. Its history showcases a dedication to preserving the traditions of the game. Established in 2001, it has rapidly become a top choice for golfers seeking a memorable round of golf in Georgia.
8. The River Club
Located in Georgia, The River Club is a renowned golf course that offers a challenging and scenic experience for golf enthusiasts. Featuring a stunning course design and immaculate maintenance, The River Club is known for its pristine fairways and greens. With a rich history and a reputation for excellence, this course attracts players from all over.
Apart from the exceptional golfing experience, The River Club also offers top-notch amenities and services, ensuring a memorable visit. If you’re planning to play golf in Georgia, The River Club is definitely a must-visit destination for both its gameplay and picturesque surroundings.
True story: A friend of mine recently played at The River Club and was amazed by the course’s beauty and the level of service provided. He described it as a challenging yet enjoyable experience and highly recommended it to anyone looking for a top-tier golfing destination at The River Club in Georgia.
If you want a top-notch golf experience in Georgia, The Standard Club sets the bar high and the scores low. Fore-get about the rest and tee off here.
9. The Standard Club
The Standard Club is known as one of the top golf courses in Georgia, providing a unique and challenging golfing experience. If you plan on playing at The Standard Club, be sure to keep the following in mind:
- Membership: Check if the course requires membership or if it is open to the public.
- Booking: Make reservations in advance to secure your tee time.
- Dress code: Make sure to adhere to the club’s dress code policy.
- Course conditions: Take note of the course conditions and maintenance schedule.
- Amenities: Take advantage of the amenities offered, such as a clubhouse, practice facilities, and dining options.
To fully enjoy your round of golf at The Standard Club, bring your best golfing skills and embrace the challenging nature of the course. Have a great time!
10. The Golf Club of Georgia
The Golf Club of Georgia, which is ranked as one of the top 10 golf courses in Georgia, provides an exceptional golfing experience with its challenging course layout and pristine playing conditions. Its surroundings are also beautiful and the fairways and greens are meticulously maintained. The club’s location is convenient, making it easily accessible for both locals and visitors.
Along with the well-designed course, the club offers a variety of amenities and services, including a pro shop and dining options. As a pro-tip, golfers at The Golf Club of Georgia should take advantage of the practice facilities to fine-tune their game before hitting the course.
Overview: Located on the scenic coast, Sea Island offers three championship courses: Seaside, Plantation, and Retreat. The Seaside Course, a links-style track, is a PGA Tour venue and one of the most beautiful in the nation.
- Seaside Course combines marshland and ocean vistas, demanding strategic play.
- Plantation Course offers a mix of parkland and links-style holes, redesigned by Davis Love III and Mark Love.
- Retreat Course provides a more forgiving layout with wide fairways and large greens.
Best For: Golfers of all levels looking for a luxury resort experience with multiple course options and top-tier amenities.
11. Atlanta Athletic Club, Johns Creek
Overview: Nestled in the heart of Johns Creek, the Atlanta Athletic Club is a cornerstone of Georgia’s golf scene, offering two 18-hole championship courses: the Highlands and the Riverside. Known for hosting major championships, including the PGA Championship and the U.S. Amateur, the club boasts a rich history and a commitment to excellence in golf.
- The Highlands Course is famous for its challenging water hazards and has been the stage for several major tournaments.
- The Riverside Course offers a mix of long and short holes, demanding strategic play and precision.
Best For: Golfers seeking a challenge on courses that have tested some of the best players in the world. While membership is required for regular play, the club occasionally hosts events open to non-members.
12. Callaway Resort & Gardens, Pine Mountain
Overview: Callaway Resort & Gardens in Pine Mountain provides a serene and beautiful setting for golfers, with two 18-hole courses, the Mountain View and Lake View, that blend seamlessly with the natural landscape.
- Mountain View Course, designed by Dick Wilson, is known for its panoramic views and has hosted PGA Tour events.
- Lake View Course offers a more relaxed round with shorter distances and less elevation change, ideal for golfers of all skill levels.
Best For: Families and golfers looking for a scenic and enjoyable golf experience. The resort’s amenities and the gardens’ natural beauty make it a perfect weekend getaway.
13. Stone Mountain Golf Club
Overview: Situated in the iconic Stone Mountain Park, this golf club offers two championship courses, Stonemont and Lakemont, designed to provide a memorable golfing experience with stunning views of the park’s famous granite dome.
- Stonemont Course is a classic layout that emphasizes strategic play and course management.
- Lakemont Course features water on 10 of its 18 holes and offers breathtaking views of Stone Mountain Lake.
Best For: Golfers who enjoy playing amidst nature’s beauty. The courses cater to all levels, offering a mix of challenge and playability in a historic setting.
14. Great Waters at Reynolds Lake Oconee (Jack Nicklaus Signature Course)
Overview: Highlighted in the Reynolds Lake Oconee section, the Great Waters course deserves special mention as a Jack Nicklaus signature design. This course is a testament to Nicklaus’s genius, offering a stunning layout that makes the most of Lake Oconee’s natural beauty.
- Renowned for its final nine holes that play along the lake, Great Waters combines beauty with challenge.
- The course underwent a comprehensive renovation by Nicklaus Design, further enhancing its playability and scenic appeal.
Best For: Golfers of all levels looking for a premium golf experience on one of Jack Nicklaus’s most celebrated designs. Great Waters is a must-play for fans of the Golden Bear’s architectural work.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Golf Course in Georgia
Georgia is home to some of the best golf courses in the world, offering a variety of stunning landscapes and challenging courses for golf enthusiasts. But with so many options to choose from, how do you know which golf course is the right one for you? In this section, we will discuss the key factors to consider when selecting a golf course in Georgia. From location and design to course conditions and amenities, we will cover all the important aspects that can make or break your golfing experience.
1. Location and Accessibility
When selecting a golf course in Georgia, it is important to take into account the location and accessibility. Here are some steps to assist you in making the best decision:
- Research the location of golf courses in Georgia and identify those that are conveniently situated for you.
- Consider the proximity to major highways or airports for easy access.
- Check if the golf course offers ample parking facilities and transportation services.
- Take into consideration the distance from your accommodation or place of stay.
- Consider any additional factors, such as traffic congestion or road conditions, that may affect accessibility.
These courses are so well-designed, even the sand traps have stunning views.
2. Course Design and Layout
When choosing a golf course in Georgia, it is important to carefully consider the course design and layout to ensure an enjoyable and challenging game.
- Research the architectural style and layout of the course. Some courses may feature a traditional design with tree-lined fairways, while others may have a more modern and open layout.
- Look for a variety of holes offered. A good mix of par 3s, par 4s, and par 5s can provide a range of challenges and opportunities for different golfing skills.
- Assess the overall condition of the course. Well-maintained fairways, greens, and bunkers can ensure a smooth and consistent playing surface.
- Consider how the course utilizes natural features. Incorporating elements like water hazards, elevation changes, and strategic bunkering can add interest and complexity to the game.
- Evaluate the aesthetics of the course. Scenic views, well-manicured landscaping, and a pleasant overall atmosphere can enhance the golfing experience.
3. Course Conditions and Maintenance
Golfers should carefully consider the course conditions and maintenance when selecting a golf course in Georgia. Here are some steps to assist in the decision-making process:
- Research: Look for courses with a reputation for maintaining high-quality conditions, including well-kept fairways, greens, and bunkers.
- Course Reviews: Read reviews from other golfers to gain insight into the course’s conditions and maintenance practices.
- Visit: Take a trip to the golf course and observe the overall upkeep, including the state of the grass, trees, and landscaping.
- Talk to Staff: Engage with the course staff to inquire about their maintenance practices, schedules, and any ongoing projects.
- Facilities: Consider the available facilities, such as locker rooms, practice areas, and equipment rental, as they demonstrate the level of attention given to course maintenance.
4. Reputation and History of the Course
When considering a golf course in Georgia, it is important to take into account the reputation and history of the course. A strong reputation often indicates the quality of the course and the satisfaction of previous players. Additionally, a course with historical significance can add an extra layer of charm and allure to the overall golfing experience. For instance, Augusta National Golf Club is renowned for hosting the prestigious Masters Tournament and has a rich history dating back to the 1930s. Listening to stories of great players and memorable moments can enhance the enjoyment of playing on the course. Therefore, when selecting a golf course in Georgia, do not forget to consider its reputation and history for a truly unforgettable experience.
Golfing in Georgia is all about luxury and comfort, so make sure to take advantage of the top-notch amenities and services offered at these courses.
5. Amenities and Services Offered
When choosing a golf course in Georgia, it is important to consider the amenities and services offered to enhance your overall experience. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
- Clubhouse facilities: Look for a well-appointed clubhouse with amenities such as locker rooms, restaurants, and pro shops.
- Practice facilities: Make sure the course has driving ranges, putting greens, and chipping areas for you to fine-tune your skills.
- Equipment rental: If you do not have your own equipment, ensure that the course offers rental clubs, carts, and other necessary gear.
- Instructors and lessons: Find out if the course has professional instructors available for lessons and improvement.
- Other services: Consider additional services such as club fitting, club repair, and tournament organizing.
Pro-tip: Prioritize the amenities and services that align with your needs and preferences to make the most out of your golfing experience in Georgia.
Tips for Playing Golf in Georgia
As a popular destination for golf enthusiasts, Georgia is home to some of the most beautiful and challenging golf courses in the country. However, playing golf in this southern state comes with its own set of unique challenges. In this section, we will discuss some helpful tips for navigating the heat and humidity while playing golf in Georgia, as well as how to plan your tee times for the best experience on the course. Whether you are a seasoned golfer or a beginner, these tips will ensure a successful and enjoyable round of golf in the Peach State.
1. Be Prepared for the Heat and Humidity
When playing golf in Georgia, it’s important to be prepared for the heat and humidity. Follow these steps to stay comfortable and safe on the golf course:
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your round to prevent dehydration.
- Wear appropriate clothing: Choose lightweight and breathable fabrics that wick away sweat to help keep you cool.
- Apply sunscreen: Protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays by applying sunscreen with a high SPF.
- Take breaks: Take regular breaks in shaded areas to give your body a chance to cool down.
- Use a towel: Keep a towel handy to wipe away sweat and moisture that can affect your grip on the club.
2. Plan Your Tee Times and
- Check the availability: Start by checking the tee time availability at the golf course you want to play.
- Book in advance: Make sure to plan your tee times well in advance, especially for popular or highly sought-after courses.
- Consider peak times: Take into account the peak times when the course is likely to be busier, such as weekends or early mornings.
- Be flexible: If possible, be flexible with your tee time preferences to increase the chances of securing a spot.
- Plan for weather: Check the weather forecast for the day of your tee time and plan accordingly, taking into consideration any potential rain or extreme weather conditions.
- Arrive early: Plan to arrive at the golf course early to allow yourself time to check-in, warm up, and get ready for your tee time.
- Follow etiquette: Familiarize yourself with the golf course’s etiquette guidelines and follow them during your round.
- Enjoy your round: Finally, relax, enjoy your game, and make the most of your tee time at the golf course.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top golf courses in Georgia?
The best golf courses in Georgia for 2022 are Augusta National Golf Club, Ohoopee Match Club, Peachtree G.C., and East Lake G.C. These courses are consistently ranked as the top four courses in the state by Golf Digest, Top 100 Golf, and Golf Magazine. Other notable courses include Atlanta Athletic Club (Highlands), Sea Island G.C. (Seaside), and Ocean Forest G.C. (Sea Island).
Is Augusta National Golf Club the best golf course in Georgia?
Yes, Augusta National Golf Club, located in Augusta, is consistently ranked as the top golf course in Georgia by multiple publications. It is also home to the famous Masters tournament, held every April.
Are there any notable golf courses that did not make the list of top courses in Georgia?
Yes, there are some notable courses that did not make the list due to not meeting the criteria of having at least two inclusions in one of the three publications mentioned. These include Rivermont, Cobblestone, GC of Georgia (Lakeside), Old Toccoa Farm, Capital City Club (Brookhaven), Landing Club, Harbor Club, and Reynolds (Oconee).
Which publications rank the top golf courses in Georgia?
Golf Digest, Top 100 Golf, and Golf Magazine all rank the top golf courses in Georgia. Augusta National Golf Club, Ohoopee Match Club, Peachtree G.C., and East Lake G.C. are consistently ranked as the top four courses in the state by all three publications.
What are some notable renovations happening at top Georgia golf courses?
According to Golf Digest, seven of the top 20 courses in Georgia are undergoing or planning renovations in 2023. These include Atlanta C.C., Hawks Ridge G.C., Cherokee Town & C.C., Currahee Club, G.C. at Cuscowilla, Ford Field & River Club, and Sandy Springs Country Club.
Are there any top value courses in Georgia?
Yes, Golf Digest also ranks the top 100 value courses in the U.S., and Georgia is home to a few of them. These include The Farm G.C., The McLemore Club, and Champions Retreat G.C.